Thursday 15 May 2014

Why the Presidential Facebook Status Update was pulled down

Yesterday I was perplexed to learn that President Uhuru's Facebook account managers had the Audacity to pull down a post where by the  president had acknowledged the appointment of one Mr. Githinji as the Director General of the National Youth Service. Being a keen observer of the Jubilee government, I spent the better part of my morning going through updates on social media on the unfolding events both in the social and political arenas around the country.
The post that was pulled down had elicited emotions and hate speech among Kenyans. I was even surprised to learn that the president himself follows the comments keenly. However, I understand it was for all good that the status update was pulled down since the exchanges were bitter and shaming in this time and era. While people from the larger Mt. Kenya region justified the appointment of Mr. Githinji on rather obvious reasons, the rift valley fraternity felt short changed and intimidated. Some were regretting the choices they made at the 2013 march 4th election. I remember many were raising issues with how the powerful secretary, Anne Waiguru was handling her dockets and how she was sending home purportedly members of other community within her ministry and replacing them with her cronies.
For sometimes, on matters politics I have been silent, but Martin Luther King Jnr tells me, sometimes silence is betrayal. I had to speak up my mind because I too am party to this issues.Of all the ministers in the Jubilee government, ask me and I will tell you, Anne Waiguru is the Moses Kenyans have been waiting for. Maybe to be Biblically correct, let me call her Esther, because Moses was greater than any other prophet in the bible. The reforms she is formulating are just masterpieces and commendable. For those who have come across the Huduma center strategy paper, know that with the Huduma center, fully dispensed across the counties, our public service will be transformed into havens of service delivery.
By the way did you watch yesterday on Television, the new structure of the Central government. How it has streamlined itself within the new devolved system? Of course I have my reservations, about the power tussles that will result between the county commissioners and the county governors, but if I heard it right, the county commissioners were empowered to carry out the functions of the national government at the county level. If they will live within that mandate, then I do not have any reason to worry, I will be happy that Kenyans at the county level will enjoy the same services Nairobians visiting Huduma Center next to GPO are enjoying. If the county commissioners live to the words of the president, then this is the time we are going to curb corruption to levels that never before have been realised.
It is for our own good that service delivery to Wanainchis like me and you is being elevated. Politics aside, give credit where it deserves, Anne Waiguru is doing what I could call the game changing play. Leave alone the county governments, they are struggling to build their capacity, but their undoing does not mean the central government should sit back and wait, we must reform where need be and we must elevate accountability to the next level and we must also realize that demonizing the central government does not make the county governments holier, instead it makes them vulnerable.
Remember also that those hating on Anne Waiguru for firing Evans Gor selemango and Rugut and terming that as a tribal reallignment are speaking for their communities and not for the good of Kenyans. I do not justify her appointments but neither do I justify those who rebuke this appointments. If Kalenjins are protesting that one of their own has been replaced by the Mt. Kenya Mafia and terming that as tribal, then it means they too use tribal prisms to perceive issues. By the way, am Luyha, and guess what, in this government, we are nowhere and I mean nowhere, but what about that, we live with that, we were told to accept and move on, and that is exactly what we are doing. I choose not to protest tribal appointments, I will choose to comment superb service delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment