Friday 13 June 2014

The Letter to the President

Your Excellency, I greet you in the name of our lord Jesus. I did that purposely that you may know that I come in peace and my greetings are in good faith. Your excellency, thank you for reading this letter, thank you for sparing your precious time to listen to the sorrows of a Kenyan of my calibre. I hold you in high esteem as the head of state of this great nation and as a symbol of unity for our beloved country Kenya. I take this opportunity also to congratulate you, although it is one year down the line for your victorious emergency out of the march 4th elections 2013.
Your excellency, am a Kenyan by origin, and maybe I suppose you are not like my good friend Kalonzo Musyoka, as you read this letter, it is my hope that this opinion stands autonomous, and it is my hope that my name shall not betray me like it betrayed mureithi the journalist. I will make my self clear, am not a mole neither am I an imposter, am a young man who resiliently supported the candidature of the Rt. Honourable Raila Odinga. I also hold him in high esteem as an African statesman who has demonstrated a resolve to cultivate an open and free democracy in African society that was defined by a stampede of tyranny. Do not hate me or disregard me for being a supporter of the former premier, remember its a free democracy, it is my choice to like him.
But look here, your excellency, I am a disillusioned Kenyan, and am annoyed at the turn of events. Its not like am disgruntled because my team lost the elections but because I believe, in our context, whether you are a loser or a winner, both of us have fallen victims of your indiscretion. Your actions have been good, but not very good, your words have been inspiring but your actions remain to be counted as retrogressive and destructive. I do not to judge your person, but I shall question the authenticity of your office on matters of National importance.
Recently, I watched as your right hand man, Dennis Itumbi pulled down a post on your Facebook account. I remember, it was an update on the unfolding appointments at the National Youth Service. I cannot conclude whatever reason why the post was pulled down, but I guess the tribal venom was embarrassing, especially on a presidential wall. I spent the better part of my morning reading through the comments generated by the post. I was a sad man. Kenya was calmly rising up against its brothers and sisters. If I were a typical Kenyan political commentator, like they always do, I would say Rift Valley had decided to start cutting down the tree in which you and your deputy climbed on. How sad, we need a stable government, and we being part of the opposition, we would love to see you and your deputy deliver on your promises to Kenyans.
Your excellency, allow me to say that  tribally you have performed dismally. Looking at my name, I know it betrays me, but as much most Kenyans hold in my opinion. Nothing else gives us the right to belong to your government than the constitution you declared you will uphold. Naturally, we do not deserve to belong to your government or at least demand any position, for during your trial moments, when Mr Jailer was on your neck and I suppose he is still, we disregarded your candidature and refuted any possibility of your presidency. But that was then, now it is time to focus on more important issues than personal difference. It is a collective feeling that larger part of the country, feels left out of your government. it also surprises me that the rift valley mandarins have already started crying foul on being given a raw deal. I won't speak for them, only them, know what that means.
But speaking on a perspective of a natural feeling, allow me to say that, it is too dangerous to ignore a feeling of rejection that the majority of us Kenyans are feeling. It is also dangerous to think that those who support the opposition have no intention of working with your government, we do want to work with you, our political differences notwithstanding. Your excellency, it is high time, you look into this matter and reconsider your public appointments. It will be more shameful, if again, we experience another Facebook post by your administration pulled down in broad daylight. This nation is made up of 42 tribes, and as a head of state, remember you are leading 42 tribes. You need to serve the interests of 42 tribes, defend 42 tribes, employ 42 tribes, protect 42 tribes and improve the livelihoods of 42 tribes.
Remember this your excellency, the building of this nation is a collective responsibility, but the destiny of this nation has been delegated to a few individuals, you being a pillar, so tread softly.
Your citizen Eugene Henry Wanambisi

No comments:

Post a Comment