Sunday 17 August 2014

Wajir: My One Hour Experience

As I write this post, am just taking time on my hotel bed minutes after landing at Wajir international airport. You are surprised its called Wajir international airport, don't be, aircraft from Somali converge here before proceeding to Nairobi. I do not know the reason why but I guess its because of security reasons.
My one hour experience in wajir county is that the only coverage of tarmac is within the airport and not entirely, only the runway, this notwithstanding the international status. As we head outside the airport into the taxi bay, I noticed that the whole place is Sandy. Its hard to differentiate the road and a plain ground. Wondering where we gonna lay our heads for the next one or so weeks, Dula our taxi man comfortably takes us into a cool but bushy vicinity. This will be our domicile for the time being. With regard to our prior experiences, we are not amused by the desolation of this place. But we are just informed that it is the only choice if not the better one.
We book rooms and immediately head to town to quench the pangs of hunger. Don't judge us, we left Nairobi so early. At the restaurant, am fascinated by the swiftness of this waiter. He doesn't take orders, he tables what he thinks befits you. Early this morning it is a norm for any of us to have a cup of tea, but that's not the case here. We are served with roasted goat meat, a delicacy that reminds me of my three days in isiolo. Such are the moments that you wish would last forever. The town is full of donkeys and goats. The car parking is anyway even in the middle of the road. Traveling wagons are what defines the parking lot, this brings up another memory; of eldoret town and the Toyota vits swag.
Am still watching, currently our hotel rooms have no electricity, I really do not know what is happening back there in Kenya, please guys keep me posted. OK

No comments:

Post a Comment